PE is an essential area of the curriculum at Carterton Community College and is taught by specialist staff in excellent facilities. Students are taught the skills required to perform at a competent level in a range of sports, but focus is also given to the development of teamwork and cooperation. The department offers students of all abilities the opportunity to participate in sport at a competitive level, with mass participation through inter-house competitions, and elite performance with inter-school fixtures and through the entry to local, county and national competitions. The department encourages students to achieve their potential through the pathways to joining local clubs and the recognition of talent through the Gifted and Talented programme. Students identified at Primary School level as More Able are invited to the College to participate in an enrichment programme run six times a year.
The Department boasts excellent facilities which include;
- a gym with a range of apparatus and 3 trampolines
- a multi-purpose sports hall with a climbing wall
- an artificial 3g playing pitch which is floodlit and used for hockey and football
- a hard court area which is used for tennis and netball
- field area with a rugby pitch and football pitch
- grass grid area used for rugby and football training